Friday, November 2, 2007

bone marrow birthday


Happy bone marrow birthday RUBY!!!!

november 7th is the day that ruby got a second chance on life.
its kinda still weird for us to celebrate two birthdays for her,
but it reminds us to be grateful, and that miracles DO happen. Ruby is celebrating
her 4th year of new bone marrow. her 4th year of being cancer free!

That day was the day we thought would never come.
it was very strange. she had about 2 weeks of chemo.
the kind of chemicals that the human body can barely tolerate
with out dying. and that is what would have happened if she had
not recieved the bone marrow
most people think that bone marrow transplant is a surgery.
it is not. it is a bag of what looks to be blood---the process is similar to a blood
transfusion. they pump the patient full of chemicals trying to destroy most all of the old
bone marrow. keeping the person right on the brink of death. and then when they look
at the blood counts seeing that the body is where it should be, they give it the healthy
bone marrow. and gradually the bone marrow grafts in the new host---and reproduces.

we are so grateful to that wonderful family/mother/baby---whoever you are, that decided to
donate their cord blood to save a life. we are also grateful to our heavenly father for letting ruby
live on this earth with us.

4 comments:

Natalie Hall said...

Ok I just saw that you left a comment on my blog, how did I miss that.
I am so excited you started a blog. I kept wondering if you would, and you did yipp, yipp hooray!!!!!!!
You look gorgeous Jill, whats new, right?
The kids were so cute for Halloween, and I love your costume. Such a FUN mom you are.
Gosh, I really miss you guys. I hate it that we live so far from one another.
I bet you will go early, but what do I know, I mean I watch Greys Anatomy every once in awhile. But I only want you to if everything is perfect.
This is just to fun that you to became part of the blog world.
Jill good luck with each passing day, we will be praying for you.
Love you guys!!!!

kateworthi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Hoorah for Ruby!! Ruby shares her bone marrow Birthday with her Uncle Richards actual birthday. Remind Ruby that on the day she was born and I got to hold her I decided that she was so magical that I had to go for another child of my own (Sam). Happy Bone Marrow Day, Ruby. Love, your Aunt Becky :)

Funny birthday wishes said...

Happy birthday to you!