Tuesday, October 7, 2008

the country mouse and the city mouse

Ezra asked me to read to him today. I have been feeling guilty because instead of reading with Ezra and Ruby, i have been giving all the reading time for Ruby because of school. Im sure it was just coincedental that his mom needed some important life lessons from these stories.
this is the book he chose.

The story of the country mouse and the city mouse is about two mice who meet for a luncheon held by the country mouse and all her friends. the city mouse gets invited and wont take one nibble of the meal the country mouse proudly serves because it is much to simple for her tastes. she turns her nose up at it and says, "in the city, i dine on spice cake and wine"  she wont dance with the other mice at the party because she is used to dancing on velvet carpet. 
so she convinces the country mouse to come to the city with her and experience the finer things in life. 

they get chased by dogs and at dinner, a cat. the poor country mouse almost faints with fear. but the city mouse says " oh, he chases me all the time". 
The city was pretty, the food plentiful...-----but was it worth it for the country mouse? 
the last part of the story goes:    
"that night she told her gentle friends, "i would rather lead a simple life than dine on riches, and live in fear." 

things became so clear to me after reading this book. how often do we make our lives complicated for things that we think will be luxurious or be more convienient? its never really worth it is it? I think of my I-pod. i really dont think that all the trouble of downloading and finding music is really worth the little amount of time i actually use it.
can you think of anything else that is like this?

2 comments:

The Allred Family said...

deep. I love it. I love picture books, I always get more out of tehm than the kids. I love "The Giving Tree" by Shel Siverstein. It's a beautiful story.

kateworthi said...

I've actually never remembered that story. But I rememebered liking the book though. What a good moral. Thanks for the refresher.